How to keep your account from getting hacked
Set a strong password
What for: So you don’t get hacked.
If you use a short and simple password for your VK account, cybercriminals can hijack your account. Use a strong password that meets the following criteria:
- Consists of 8–20 characters.
- Contains lowercase and uppercase letters, numbers, and special characters ($, @, etc.).
- Is not an actual word or easy-to-guess phrase.
- Is not the same as your passwords for any other accounts.
- Does not consist of information that strangers could easily find out (your name, date of birth, pet's name, etc., or those of your relatives and friends).
To change the password:
- Open the menu by tapping the icon with three horizontal lines in the bottom right corner of the screen.
- Tap the cogwheel in the upper right corner of the screen to go to settings.
- Go to the Account section.
- Select Password.
- Enter the current password for your account, then enter the new password twice and tap OK.
Enable two-factor authentication
What for: Better protection against getting hacked.
To enable two-factor authentication, follow the instructions to configure the Web version of VK. This feature is unavailable in the iOS app.