How to keep your account from getting hacked
Set a strong password
What for: So you don’t get hacked.
If you use a short and simple password for your VK account, cybercriminals can hijack your account. Use a strong password that meets the following criteria:
- Consists of 8–20 characters.
- Contains lowercase and uppercase letters, numbers, and special characters ($, @, etc.).
- Is not an actual word or known phrase.
- Is not the same as your passwords for any other accounts.
- Does not consist of information that strangers could easily find out (your name, date of birth, pet's name, etc., or those of your relatives and friends).
To change the password:
- Open the menu by tapping the icon with three horizontal lines in the bottom right corner of the screen.
- Tap the cogwheel in the upper right corner of the screen to go to settings.
- Go to the Account section.
- Select Change password.
Enter the current password for your account, then enter the new password twice and tap OK.
Enable two-factor authentication
What for: Stronger protection from hacking.
To enable two-factor authentication, follow the instructions to configure the Web version of VK. This feature is unavailable in the Android app.
Check the login history
What for: To detect and stop any suspicious activity.
To view the login history of your account, follow the instructions to configure the Web version of VK. This feature is unavailable in the Android app.